Love on the Rocks
It’s Valentine’s Day today and around here we prefer to keep things simple. Tonight, we’ll toast to each other with a well crafted cocktail, then sit down to a homemade meal and likely a bottle of something special we’ve been hiding in the wine cabinet. Tonight’s drink of choice will be a riff on an old classic: the Manhattan. I’ve been making this cocktail for a while and now it has a name. . . I’m calling it The Perfect Gentleman.
The Perfect Gentleman
- 3 oz. Rye or Bourbon whiskey
- 1/2 oz. sweet vermouth (we like Cinzano Rosso)
- 1/2 oz. Cynar (or other Italian amaro like Fernet Branca)
- Peychaud bitters*
- Fee Brothers aromatic bitters*
- Thin swatch of orange peel
- Brandied cherries for garnish
Prepare an old fashioned or rocks glass by first rubbing the inside of the glass with the swatch of orange peel to extract the aromatic oils. Add a few large ice cubes, the orange peel, and set aside. Fill a mixing glass with cracked ice and add the whiskey, vermouth, and Cynar (or Fernet). Stir well. Strain into the rocks glass and add a couple dashes of the Peychaud and Fee Brothers bitters*. Stir and garnish with two brandied cherries.
If your partner is a fan of Manhattans or the Old Fashioned, this will likely please them. Especially when crafted with love by their favorite person. Happy Valentine’s Day!
* Bitters are available in our specialty shop located under “Gourmet & Garnish.”